The 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice was on sale for $4.75.
I know some of you don't like that version - but I don't care. I LOVE it. I can't believe I didn't own it until now. In spite of being completely broke, I bought it.
I have now watched it at least 3 times, as one does.
No? Just me? People don't typically watch Pride and Prejudice on repeat? Drat.
I think it's because the last few months I've been hooked on The Lizzie Bennett Diaries on YouTube, and well... a girl can only wait to see Mr. Darcy for so long!
One of the things I love about this movie is how delightfully awkward some of the characters and scenes are. While watching it, I came to the conclusion that this movie could actually be called "How to Be Awkward by Jane Austin."
Here's what I mean:
(If you haven't seen the movie, I suggest you stop reading this post, watch it, then come back to this and you'll appreciate it SO much more.)
1) The scene when we first meet Mr. Darcy, Mr. Bingley, and Caroline.
Oh look! New rich people have come to town. Let's stop ALL of the music and ALL of the dancing and STARE AT THEIR BEAUTY as they walk through the room, then go back to normal as though nothing happened.
2) When Elizabeth walks to Netherfeild in the rain, and when she gets there, everyone just stares at her for a minute wondering why she's there. Maybe it's payback for the previous awkward moment.
4) As the Bennett ladies go to Netherfield to fetch Elizabeth and Jane, Mary (who dresses only in dark colors because apparently she's the goth/emo sister), shares how dancing is stupid - even though in Jane Austin stories they hold balls and parties every two seconds.
|Pardon me short man as I almost hit you in the face with my superior elbow. And, source.|
|Why won't you marry me? I gave you this tiny flower. Source.|
|I don't know what's going on here...|
but it's creepy & awkward. And, source.
7) The existence of Anne, Lady Catherine's daughter who is engaged to Darcy. Who also wears only black. Maybe she and Mary can be friends.
8) Speaking of Mary, that moment you realize she totally has the hots for Mr. Collins.
|Oh please! Don't propose to Lizzy! |
Don't you realize how awesome and emo I am? Source.
9) After Lizzie rejects Mr. Darcy's first proposal and he runs into the room, stands there, says a few awkward words, then runs away. Then Charlotte comes in and asks Lizzie "What did you do to Mr. Darcy?"
So there you have it. Even in Jane Austin movies where everyone is supposed to be all proper and together - people are painfully awkward and find true love.
Doesn't that just make you feel better about life?