It all started back in 2009. I was talking to my friend Laura and our conversation went something like this:
"Have you watched that show Glee yet?"
"No, I've thought about it, but I haven't yet."
"You really should. This show is basically you."
Of course, she was right. You were a TV show that I instantly understood and fell in love with. If someone were to watch you and think I would hate it, they probably haven't met me. A perky group of misfits, dramatic love stories, overcoming obstacles, random humor and ridiculous one-liners, AND it's a musical TV show?
Clearly, you really are the definition of me.
I know it's not cool to like you anymore. Especially since I'm 27 years old. I hear the criticisms people have of you and I understand. Heck, they are valid and people bring up good points. But I don't care. I still love you. Here are 10 reasons why.
1) I love how you make fun of yourself. You understand how completely ridiculous you are and use it. I love how Sue always takes what everyone is thinking about the show and makes it into some hilarious one-liner. I love when the characters take their crazy habits and make them into jokes.
2) I love how you give me things that I never knew I wanted. Like a kid in a wheelchair swinging on a vine while singing Katy Perry. I never knew I wanted that image in my life - but now I'm so glad it is.
Or Sam dressed as a shirtless bug.
Or Santana doing advertisements about yeast infections.
3) You introduced Darren Criss to the world - and then put him in a superhero costume.
I already knew who he was and fell in love at least a year before he was on the Glee cast. However, now everyone knows about how great he is and I can now watch him every single Thursday.
4) In less than a minute, you can take characters I really don't care anything about and suddenly I have all of the feels for their situations.
I'm looking at you Unique and that darn rendition of "If I Was A Boy" you sang on Thursday.
I'm also looking at you Marley and Jake. You were always cute, but I didn't realize that I really wanted you together until Jake messed it up this season.
Really Jake? Really? Why did you have to cheat on her? I mean... come on!
5) Some people like certain songs, and once they're on Glee they suddenly hate them. Not so with me. (Usually.) There are times when I have no idea what song the cast is singing and I'm all "this is kinda good" and then I realize it's a Miley Cyrus song. Now.... I really want to listen to it. I have what should be an embarrassing amount of Glee covers on my iPod that I am not embarrassed about at all.
6) I love how Twitter explodes when Kurt takes off his shirt for the first time in five seasons.
Especially when he started out like this:
How our little Porcelain has grown up.
7) I still think Rachel Berry is the actual best. I know she's annoying and obnoxious and awful. But I love her.
8) While some of the musical numbers aren't what they used to be, I love how every once in awhile you do surprise me with what you do with the songs. Even when they are repeated from previous seasons.
Teenage Dream acoustic from season 4 anyone?
Side note: does anyone else randomly find themselves jealous of a gay couple? Cause... this show does that to me sometimes. Sorry, not sorry.
9) Sue Sylvester. Enough said.
10) How I feel everything all of the time while watching. It's where I can unload my emotions, sing songs, and completely buy into cheesy plot lines. I don't even always agree with the direction the episodes go or how they tackle certain issues, but I always have some sort of reaction and feeling.
Side note: The Finn episode was perfect timing. I was having a crazy emotional week and I was able to channel all of my feels into watching that one.
Finn... I miss you. SO MUCH.
So yes, Glee. I know you only have a season and a half left (which, I applaud you for making that decision because it's good to know when to end and how to end well). I know most people probably judge me for loving you so much. But there it is.
Sorry, not sorry everyone else.
And... here's another Darren Criss photo just for good measure.
Another side note to my readers: I apologize for all of the fan-girling over Darren Criss lately. (But only slightly sorry.) I'm kinda basing my main male character for NaNoWriMo on him so I've had a ton of photos of him up on my laptop this month. I'm sure by December I'll calm down. (Maybe. Hopefully.)