Quick note: If you are on Instagram, you should follow @TheBlogBaton tomorrow because I'll be posting from there all day! The Blog Baton is an Instagram account where everyday a different blogger gets to take over and post photos all day long, and tomorrow is my turn!
Happy New Year!
It's 2014! How crazy is that? I feel as though I say this about every day and holiday, but I'm always amazed at how quickly these things come around. Wasn't I just writing for January 1 in 2013? No? That was already a year ago? Where have I been? Goodness gracious.
Like last year, I'm avoiding New Years Resolutions. I don't want to make promises to myself that I can't keep or don't want to keep. I don't want to be another New Year cliche.
Yet, still like last year, I can't help but think about what I want to accomplish in the next twelve months. This year is the start of something new. I'm no longer in Missouri, I'm not in youth ministry anymore, everything is wide open for me. As cliche as it probably sounds, one of the reasons why I loved timing this transition over Christmas was because I could time my starting over with the New Year.
Because if life can't be like a movie or a book, you can still do what you can to make it appear to be so, right?
So, here I am. New year. New life. Open doors ready for me to walk through, even if I don't know what they'll be leading to.
It makes me feel like I should be making goals of where I want to go in my career and making big life choices, but I just don't want to.
Why should I limit myself? I might make these huge plans and set lofty goals when God has something completely different in mind. You know that typical Christian phrase... "Want to hear God laugh? Tell him your plans."
There are some things I want to do, obviously. Find a job, eventually get my own place so I"m not with Mom and Dad forever, finish my NaNoWriMo novel and revise it a million times so I can send out query letters, travel somewhere new, get back to doing yoga (for real this time!) etc. I do have goals, I guess. But honestly, I just want to let things happen. See where God and life takes me.
Although... I'm pretty sure these are some things that will be happening in 2014:
- Watching hours of Supernatural on Netflix... along with all of the other TV shows
- Spending quality time with my favorite power trio: Harry, Ron, and Hermione
- Taking my family and friends to see Newsies when it travels to Chicago in December
- Spending far too much money at Starbucks and being sure the baristas who work at the store wherever I end up living know my name
- Blogging. Lots of blogging.
- Cuddle time with Bandit
- Crying over movies like Divergent, The Fault in Our Stars, and Mockingjay
- Reading ALL OF THE BOOKS
- Participating in NaNoWriMo in November for the 7th time
- Being my sister's maid of honor for her wedding in September (and all of the wedding planning that goes along with it!)
- Wasting hours on Tumblr and other forms of social media
- Squealing like the fangirl I am over Emma Approved
- And of course, catching up with friends in Chicago while keeping in touch with those in Missouri
Here's to 2014!
What are your plans/goals?