Friday, May 2, 2014
27 Secrets of Life
And yes... that is the same photo I posted of my new haircut a few days ago. I haven't had time to take more so... yeah. That's just how it goes. This secrets to life thing is going great so far isn't it?
1) Always have a book or two to read at a time, and don't let much time pass between books. In the book I'm currently reading (How I Paid for College) One of the characters talked about how this saved his life. While this is going to be a bit of an extreme- he had a great point. Always have a book. Always.
2) Speaking of books- be sure to always carry purses which can carry said books/whatever you read e-books on. Even better if it can hold both. It saves you a lot of trouble.
3) Be willing to go with changes. Whether it's changes in your life, technology, culture, etc. Change will happen and sometimes it's just better to go with it.
4) Keeping this in mind - don't forget the past either. Don't glorify it, but learn from it too. It's one of the lessons we learned from The Lion King.
5) Remember that purse which can hold a book/tablet/e-reader? Yeah, keep a notebook or journal in there too. I don't write in my journal as much as I'd like, but I try to have it with me as often as I can. Sometimes you need to jot down an idea or simply need to write about something you can't put on the internet.
6) It's okay to keep people as friends on Facebook. Even if you haven't talked to them in a long time. Especially if you're still on good terms. You never know when you'll need that connection again.
7) On the same note- there are also times when you need to let go of people.
8) Basically, have a good balance. Know when to keep a door open and when to close it.
9) You're never too old for Mac 'n Cheese.
10) Frozen meals in bags which you can cook on the skillet are amazing - especially if you are an awful cook like I am.
11) Get to know the workers at the places you frequent like restaurants, Starbucks, your favorite store, etc. Those people can make your day sometimes.
12) You don't need to step up to every argument you disagree with which comes your way. It's exhausting to always feel you have to defend your thoughts and beliefs.
13) This one technically isn't mine, but I think it's awesome anyways. "Preach the gospel always. Use words when necessary." - St. Francis
14) It's amazing what a new haircut can do for your mood.
15) People won't always remember what you say. But they will remember how you make them feel.
16) When a close friend has a birthday send them an actual text message or make a phone call if you can't see them in person. It's so much better than a generic Facebook wall post.
17) Sometimes, you just have to jump, even if you don't know what's at the bottom.
18) Accept who you are an own it.
19) But also don't always make the excuse "But that's just how I am" when you make a mistake. It doesn't give you an excuse to make poor choices and be a jerk.
20) When you mess up, own up to it. People tend to respect those who own their mistakes more than those who try to pretend they're perfect.
21) It's far less stressful to be early all of the time than late all of the time
22) It's not shallow if you want to feel pretty. You want to wear a cute outfit, do your hair, put on makeup, and get your nails done? Go for it!
23) But don't let looks control your life. It's a whole balancing act.
24) When you need to make a list, when you can divide a point into 2 points DO IT.
25) Create stuff. It can be writing, painting, sculpting, cooking, growing something, music, theatre - WHATEVER. Creativity is holy.
26) When you try to see the best in people, you might be more vulnerable, but you'll be more open and build strength along the way.
27) As Ellen says... be kind to one another.
What are some of your life secrets?