Remember when you were a kid and your birthday was always so exciting because you were finally a year older and you got to have a party and lots of presents?
Yeah... those days are over.
It's not that I don't enjoy my birthday. It's just that whole getting older thing. I know 28 isn't old by any means. My head knows this. My logic knows this. But then there's the part of me who is freaking out and all "OMG I ONLY HAVE TWO YEARS UNTIL I'M 30! I HAVEN'T EVEN BACKPACKED THROUGH EUROPE OR GONE ON AN EPIC ROAD TRIP OR RANDOMLY MET A CELEBRITY OR ANYTHING PEOPLE IN THEIR 20s ARE SUPPOSED TO DO!"
No wonder my sister found my first "silver" hair last week.
Then I calm down (or my family and friends tranquilize me) and am reminded again that 30 isn't a scary age and 28 isn't old and I have my whole life to do things and learn and find myself. Also, last year on my birthday I was on a bus with 50 teenagers on the way back from Texas. This year my friends have helped me make plans to go to Dave and Busters tonight and I was able to meet up with some people for dinner and coffee through the week. So... not too shabby.
Looking back though, being 27 was interesting. I resigned from my job, traveled, moved to Chicago, got a brand new idea for a novel and have been working on that... so it's been a good year.
- While traveling in the deep south, picking up the accent is far easier than you'd think. Even if you are a native Chicagoan.
- Going to the courthouse which inspired LM Montgomery to write To Kill A Mockingbird and seeing a teenager walk into the world of her all time favorite book, and a jr. high boy see with his own eyes historic places of the civil rights movement and come to life for the first time, is an incredible experience.
- Love God. Love People. Do Stuff. -Bob Goff
- Choose your companions before you choose your roads. -Mark Burnett
- Nutella and banana crepes. You'll never be the same.
- Freshman girls can teach you more about beauty and self-esteem than you'd think.
- Why yes... I do still remember all of the colors of Joseph's coat and will never ever forget them. Ever.
- I used to not be a believer in theatre tabboos like saying the name of the Scottish play... until now. If you say the name I WILL HURT YOU.
- Having friends who are younger than you can actually be pretty amazing.
- It is entirely possible to survive being in an outdoor play when it's 20 outside. Not fun. But you'll survive.
- When celebrities are in town (like Neil Patrick Harris) to film a movie, go to Starbucks EVERY SINGLE DAY because the one day you don't go will be the day they are there.
- Having an awesome writing partner during NaNoWriMo makes all of the difference in the world.
- Buying a Tardis dress is always a good idea.
- Babies won't always cry when I hold them.
- When you are snowed in for a few days, get the idea to have a Harry Potter marathon on day one... not day three.
- Disney songs can totally define your life.
- It's okay to lock yourself up in your apartment and ugly cry all afternoon while watching the Glee episode to honor Cory.
- Even when leaving is the right choice, goodbyes really suck.
- Get the tattoo. In fact, get two.
- Get new tires on your car BEFORE the worst winter in the history of ever hits.
- A perk of working part-time is SO MUCH TIME TO READ.
- Preschool kids really do say the funniest things.
- When you say yes to one thing, that means you say goodbye to another. It's really hard.
- I'd probably die without my phone and social media to keep in touch with my Missouri friends.
- I need to learn how to live with other people again after being on my own for so long. Sharing the Netflix is hard yo!
- Being the sister of a bride means everything is about the wedding and nothing else. Ever. Also, weddings are hard.
- After some practice, driving around downtown Chicago isn't all that scary.
- When moving back after being gone for 5 1/2 years, your good friends are still there, but you still have to adjust to being in one anothers lives again.
- When even the guys at the Apple store think your iPad is possessed... it's time to get a new one.
- Visiting people after moving away six months ago is actually really fun.
- Not everyone is as judgy as you'd think when you're trying to figure life out.
- Neil Patrick Harris looks way better in a mini skirt and boots than I ever will.
- You don't always see what's coming next and everything might be cloudy... but it's okay.
What are some things you've learned this past year? How do you feel about getting older?